From Caroline Marsh (’14)
For the Stuffed Tomatoes:
¾ cup Basmati Brown Rice (I used Quinoa)
Vegetable Stock (for making rice)
6 large tomatoes, ripe but firm
1 clove of garlic, minced (I used 2)
1 onion, finely chopped
1 oz pine nuts (I used sunflower seeds)
1 tbsp fresh mint, finely chopped
1 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
1 oz grated parmesan
Coarsely ground black pepper
For the Yogurt and Mint Sauce:
1 cup of natural yogurt
2 tsp fresh mint
1. Cook rice with vegetable stock.
2. Slice the tops off of the tomatoes and save them. Scoop out the pulp, chop and conserve with the juices.
3. Preheat the oven to 350.
4. Heat 1 tbsp Olive Oil in a pan. Add onion and garlic and cook over medium heat until the onion is soft. Add tomato pulp and juices and a pinch of sea salt and cook until the juices have reduced (I also added a splash of white wine and think it was a great addition).
5. Fluff up rice and add mint, parsley, pine nuts, tomato, onion, and cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Using a spoon, stuff tomatoes with the filing. Leave room for rice to expand. Place lids on top and drizzle with olive oil. Place in an ovenproof dish and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour (I only did 40 minutes and it was fine).
7. Meanwhile, make the dressing by combining the yogurt and mint together in a bowl and seasoning with salt. Serve on the side with the stuffed tomatoes.